Sunday, November 12, 2017

Repurposing some of my furniture to help organize my work bench.


I dislike having to open my toolbox to search for a tool I need.  I want them organized in front of me where I can grab them without having to push up a lid or open a drawer.  Using my instructors set ups on their benches at the front of the lab rooms, I came up with a design with which I was comfortable.
My former china cabinet my now ex-wife and I purchased to hold the wedding china, etc.  I'm single again.  I don't need china displayed.  It had to be repurposed. 
Going to use the wine rack to create a holder for instruction manuals, notebooks and parts/tools catalogues.
My disassembled china cabinet in my basement.  

My workshop area in my basement where my bench tool holder was created


Ta Dah!


I discovered a little bit about furniture construction when I disassemble the china cabinet.  The parts that people used the most or viewed the most were solid.  Structural sections were laminated plywood.  I use two of the facings from pull drawers to fashion a handle.  Just used my imagination and an orbital sander.

The handle you see the blue tape hanging on has a twin on the opposite side of the tool holder so that one can lift the entire assembly and move it without removing the tools.



Here is the converted wine rack



Using another facing from a pull drawer and a few purchased poplar dowels, I fashioned an instrument holder to hold clarinets and flute body parts.  I added felt feet to level the platform to most bench surfaces.  I may add rubber feet if more grip is needed. 

1 comment:

Lathe work: Brass Valve Caps