Monday, December 27, 2021

Christmas Gifts 2021

This was for my Sister-in-Law, Cheryl.  I found this design either on Pinterest or Etsy.  No
print out design was available for purchase.  So, I printed the photo of the finished product on a regular sheet of paper and free handed the drawing enlarging it on a 1/4" sheet of plywood.  Once I was satisfied with the result, I scrolled sawed the design and then glued it to an 1/8" sheet of plywood creating a background surface.  I painted the background a semi-gloss black and the scrolled design was painted with a few coats of white primer.  Cheryl is very artistic.  Now she can personalize it by adding some color to it!  I can't wait to see how it turns out.!
My brother, Marcus, has always been a heavy metal music fan and therefore likes the imagery that goes along with the music.  Here is a Grim Reaper character I found on Etsy scrolled from a piece of purple heart wood at a thickness of 1/8".  To me, the grain of the wood behind the image looks like the flames of hell.  He's comin' for you!
My nephew, Devon, received two gifts.  He is currently a student at Cleveland State University and is a member of the hockey team.  I found this design on Etsy.  School colors are white and forest green.
Devon is an aspiring actor.  So, his second gift was a pocket copy of Shakespeare's Hamlet and a three dimensional wooden scull.  Now Devon can practice the famous scene Act 5 in the graveyard when Hamlet holds up a scull and begins..."Alas poor Yorick..."   I found this design on Etsy.  Its made up of about 50 different flat shapes each cut from 1/8" hard wood that when assembled in the proper order, create the 3 dimensional object you see.  This was my first attempt at something like this.  It was a lot of fun to make!


I made my Mom something she could display, yet something that was functional.  The last thing she needs is another nick-nack!  She keeps a box of tissues next to her recliner in the living room of her home and one day I thought, I've got it!  A decretive tissue box holder, perhaps decorated with horse imagery.  She likes horses.  Due to time constraints, I knew making the box in addition to making the scroll saw imagery of the sides and the top of the box was too much for me.  I did a little research and found out that Hobby Lobby sells unfinished wooden tissue box holders. I bought one and then went to Woodcrafters to by some some African Padauk wood.  The imagery I found on Etsy and in some of the pattern books I own.  I'm very happy with it and I think she is too.






My good friend, John, received the above 3D picture.  Obviously, John likes fishing.  I believe that I found and purchased this project on Etsy.  This was a lot of fun!  The  wood used and the colors were my choice.  I think I may do a few more like it in the future. 





During September and October of 2022, this is how my sister-in-law Cheryl
decided to complete and utilize her Christmas gift of 2021.
Outstanding!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Lathe work: Brass Valve Caps