Saturday, October 27, 2018

Construction of a Casing to Bell Cross Brace

First, I examine some samples of braces and their construction.  What materials are needed and the process used for their assembly.






Now it's time to fabricate new parts from the old. This old flange, because it is plated, will not silver solder to the other components.   

Here are my two new flanges, the appropriate brass screw and washer needed and the 1/8" brass rod from which I will fabricate a tube which will span between the two flanges.  


Lathe time creating the expansion tube.

Here are all my parts ready to be assembled.



After I attach the brass washer, I took this assembly over to the soldering jig, set it up and silver soldered it together.






After the silver soldering process, I took the new cross brace to my bench motor to remove the washer and screw head stubs thus creating the smooth, contoured inner surface so that each flange can be shaped to the casing body or bell throat surface.



Now it's time to shape each flange to the contours of the bell and casing.  After soft soldering the cross brace into place, it will be plated using the Caswell Electroplating System.  Since this cornet has a satin brass finish, it should be easy to scratch it's newly plated finish to blend into the existing finish.



Finished product!  Can you tell which brace I replaced?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Lathe work: Brass Valve Caps