Saturday, November 10, 2018

My Personal-Time Hobby


I love scroll sawing!  This I completed in the winter of 2016 in my Lakewood, Ohio basement workshop.  It is a miniture Grandmother's clock.  Plans were taken from a woodworking magazine I inherited from my Father(deceased 2005).  I used cherry and tiger maple.


I needed a shelf on which to display my miniature Grandmother's Clock.  Since the clock is pretty ornate, I wanted something simple.  After searching through a couple of pattern books, I chose this shelf.


This shelf is a little fancier!

I decided that I did not need this china cabinet any longer.  However, several pieces of this cabinet I used to create some things that I did need.  What follows are some of those creations. 
My benchtop tool caddy at Red Wing.



This handle was fashioned out of two of the drawer faces glued together, cut to general shape and then, with an orbital sander, rounded to accept a hand's grip.

The wine rack became first a notebook holder and then a tool holder for my metal lathe.


Here is an flute/clarinet rack for the benchtop.
The cupboard doors became the Easter Story.  Here is The Crucifixion

Here is Death, Resurrection and Ascension 


I do love model railroading!  Until I settle in a place where I can have a permanent layout, I decided to put  that hobby aside for woodworking.  I'm creating things I can use and display in my living space.  Things that can be packed up and moved more easily than a train layout.  This clock and the following two were created using plywood from my former train layout.  The clock faces were my Dad's.  I think I made the clocks he had planned to complete. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Lathe work: Brass Valve Caps